Xmas Break

Home Forums Questing Does Anyone Know…? Xmas Break

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_Vyxen 18 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Hello all

What with Xmas coming up and all and most of us off work, does anyone have any questing activities that they plan to follow up over the festive season that they would like to share?

I personally think this time of year – especially in the week after Xmas- has an energy all of its own – the landscape is still and peaceful which lends its own particular quality to the proceedings. I spent some of the last year chasing the michael and mary lines across berks and oxon. this year, I expect that I will be visiting St Helen’s churches in my area.

So, thats the ball rolling then! :P

Hope everyone has a happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

Blessings

Vix

Hello Vyxen,

We have family at opposite ends of England, so we’ll be in St Helen’s, Merseyside (home of Pilkington’s – the Glass with the Class) for a few days, then in Gravesend, Kent for New Year, taking in Brentwood in Essex (once voted Britain’s most boring town, and my own place of origin) before returning to Devon. Lots of quality time on England’s motorways – hurrah! However, I do hope to read the Rosicrucian pamphlets from the early 17th century, which I’ve printed out and stashed in my bag.

Give my regards to St Helen/Elen for me!

Whatever you celebrate at this time of year, or whatever you don’t, I hope everyone has a splendid time.

KHABS AM PEKHT – KONX OM PAX – LIGHT IN EXTENSION

Michael

Hi All,

I’m back with my folks in Ireland for Christmas – close to Newgrange and the Boyne Valley.

I’m heading back to Larchill this afternoon so will see if I can pick up any more of the “soap opera” there. I’ll bring a camera this time so hopefully I’ll be able to post a few snaps later on.

Thanks to everyone for contributing so much over the past year. I have many New Year’s resolutions regarding more content for the site so hopefully I’ll have the discipline to carry out at least some of the ideas!!

All the best,

Simon

I’m staying in Glastonbury and focusing on writing. I have made a start on my ‘Gwyn ap Nudd’ booklet; will be sending two articles to the ‘Temple’ booklet for issue 8, one is about the origin of the ‘Sinclair’ name, the other is an indepth study into ‘Le conte du Graal’ the very first Grail romance… add to that I have the pleasure of proof reading Andrew Collins’ new book, over the new year period, its destined to the publishers around the middle of January…

… so long nights in for me, being quiet, writing and reading… being cosey hopefully.

A Cool Yule to everyone and all the best for 2006… here’s to Psychicquesting.com continuing to expand in membership and activity

cheers

Yuri.

Hello one and all and a merry new year!

Well, I did manage to make one of the churches – very intresting! would have been more intresting if only the damn thing wasnt shut!

But I have a question… on the East porch of the church are four tetramorphs. Each ‘morph is holding a shield and on the shield are inscribed saints names.

The only saint I can see the name of fully (on account of being short) is ‘St Joanna’. This sheild is held by the eagle ‘morph.

So my questions are;

1 – Which gospel is the eagle referring too?

2 – and why do you think he’s holding the name of St Joanna http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintj2l.htm

Thanks

V

edited to add: if I can get someone tall enough to see the other names, I will of course post them.

Hi Vyxen,

Your St Joanna is almost certain St John author of the fourth Gospel (maybe :wink: ). The four evangelist were represented by four animals. See the conversation between Yuri, Supernaturalist and myself in The Icon Trail thread in this forum (e.g. [url:795fuhpb]http://www.psychicquesting.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=87#87[/url]) for more .

Cheers,

Simon

Hello Vyxen, and happy new year to everyone; I was exhausted after mine!

It’s a pain when church buildings are shut, but unfortunately theft and vandalism are too big a problem to just leave them open all the time.

It probably doesn’t mean anything, but I find an east porch curious – is it a large building or a modern one? I’m not an expert on church architecture, but the eastern end of a traditional church building is where the high altar is positioned, and I would have thought that unless the building is very large you wouldn’t have a door in that end, and certainly not a main entrance. The south wall is a more traditional place for the main porch, though north and west are common enough as well.

Michael

Ha – you got it supernaturilist! Is a very odd building indeed! It is the second widest church in the country. In this case with St Helen’s – the altar is in the middle of the building. A bit like the Catholic Catherdral in Liverpool – you can sit around the altar.
    The morphs were on an outside porch entrance – one on each corner. also, the main entrance to the church now is through the north side. Unusual eh? acually they are renovating the church and will move the front door to the east.

Cheers for your reply Simon – alhtough it definatly said St Joanna. Strange eh?

Happy New Year to all

I had a good one and have managed not to eat too many mince pies, but did drink a bit too much (I’ll lose some Tai Chi stars for that but I’m back on the getting healthy track)

I proof read Andrew Collins’ new book. It would be wrong for me to say too much about it (even the working title gives it away a bit… so I wont mention it until Andy starts to promote it himself.) So, well, its 20 chapters long and full of fascinating historical evaluation of the world’s cultures, from about 17,000 B.C. onwards… It is more in the vein of ‘From the Ashes of Angels’ it’s not a ‘Questing’ book like The Seventh Sword or the Black Alchemist… its due to be launched in October.

I am also joining the ‘Association of Erotic Artists’ in a bid to become more financially successful; that said, the artwork that I am planning (albeit erotic) is also going to be largely based on Faerie lore and ‘Otherworld’ feelings… Think ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ with extra sexy bits… and thats kind of where my thoughts are heading.

As well as my Gwyn booklet I have also written an article about the ‘Sinclairs’ and the origins of their name, for issue 8 of the ‘Temple booklet’ which’ll be out in March… I’ll let everyone know when it is so.

YURI wrote:
    Think ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ with extra sexy bits… and thats kind of where my thoughts are heading.

Sounds good – you’ll have to let us know when you publish!

Very interested to read about the Gwynn booklet -again – let us know when thats out.

Sounds like you have you work cut out for you at the mo Yuri!

Vix

I agree, sounds great, Yuri. I probably shouldn’t be posting this on a public forum 8O but I still remember looking at Brian Froud’s original book of faeries when I was an adolescent and the psychic charge packed by the picture of the fairy with the snail slithering over her breast!

Hey Simon, my missus has that book. Which page is it :wink:

Michael

Vyxen, back to your church (well not exactly…oh, you know what I mean), it also sounds similar to the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Brentwood. That has a central altar and entrance on the north, though no tetramorphs to my knowledge. It is also dedicted to St Mary and St Helen! It is a new building, dedicated in 1991, but incorporating the old building (19th century I think), and looks fairly impressive – quite a classical feel to it.

Interesting thing I remember about the north door in churches is that they are sometimes known as the Devil’s Door, and are normally never to be opened (except at baptisms, to let the devil out – whereupon they are quickly closed again), and some churches have them blocked up. I think this only applies to more ancient buildings.

That ‘Joanna’ thing is also a curious anomaly, and I wonder if someone was trying to say something. Is there a ‘history’ to your church? I wonder who the architect was, or who commisioned the design? Not that I know anything about these things, but I understand that the people who built these things sometimes had interesting connections.

Michael

Cheers for that Supernaturialist – v intresting. I feel too that ‘Joanna’ may have some significance to that church as well.

I agree – North door entrance is very odd… and this is a very old church. Dates from 675 AD although there is no surviving fabric in situ from that building – though I did find a ref to some of the stonework from the saxon church being incorproated into another wall. This also raises the possibility that this was no mere wooden chapel, although it may well have started out that way.

Main building dates from 12 cent I think – Norman certainly. Although it has been added on and modified in every period therafter. That is why its so wide – they simply built around rather than added on to the end.
    Google Earth shows a very odd building indeed – more like a factor with its pitched roofs rather than a church!

Is it possible that the name reads St Joannes, as in Joannes Baptista (John the Baptist)?

Maybe next time take binoculars, or a camera held at arm’s length!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.