Binsey Meadow, Oxford

Home Forums Questing Does Anyone Know…? Binsey Meadow, Oxford

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_Vyxen 18 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Hello all

Just signed up and thought I would introduce myself and ask a question if I may?

Well, I’m an Engineer by trade based in Oxfordshire. But by night I am a Priestess. (Actually by day and night really, I see Priestessing as my ‘real’ job).

I was reading Andrew’s interview, in that he refers to Binsey Meadow being ‘active’ (I presume in the sense that there are groups in that area). I was wondering if any one has any more information to hand on this. Being so close I am very curious and I do have a few contacts in the Oxford City area.

Cheers for your help

Vicky

Hi Vicky,

When Andy uses the description ‘active’ it can mean many different things, ie,

a, the place itself is very psychically strong or,
    b, that many people visit the place with esoteric motives or,
    c, that the location keeps popping up in peoples dreams or psychic readings etc

Also, if there are people going there regularly for ritualistic purposes, they neednt live in the area; they could come from hundreds of miles away… depends how big their ‘scheme’ is.

I dont know, Binsey hasnt been important to me but I would guess that if it were ‘active’ or important to many people then it probably holds a significant position to somekind of landscape design or ‘matrix’. Different groups of people would try and tap into it to work with or control the local energies, for good or bad, (always a grey area) If ‘bad’ people are using the energies you can always try and put a stop to it, but that task is often endless and tiring/soul destroying… so called ‘Black Questing’ sometimes it needs to be done (especially if you love the area that is being sucked dry or abused, but it is a thankless task and and can drain you terribly, psychically. Also, by pursuing the bad guys you are being distracted from your proper quest, so in a rondabout way the bad guys are still winning!!! This is why Andy, Richard and others are reluctant to go Black Questing, but sometimes you just have to.

Hope this helps

Yuri.

Cheers for your help. Yes am aware of how matrices can be distorted – another area local to me as suffered in the same way. And yes very true, people may be travelling hundreds of miles to visit a site but I happen to know that Port Meadow (close by) is a very popular ritual site for Pagans in Oxford -sometimes at Sabbats. These are open events and are well publicised.

As a matter of intrest I went there yesterday evening. A bit of an odd place. You get to it by going down one of the busiest streets into Oxford – then literally a minute or so later you are in countryside. Binsey itself (although not very far away from Oxford (1-2 miles)) is actually quite isolated.

The Church by the well is dedicated to St Margaret and the well itself seems structually in good repair but unfortunatly the water looks brackish (and black!) and is stale. The blurb from inside the Church says that the well did have healing properties in Saxon times and became a place of some repute actually being visited by Henry 8th. Its hard to image that the water could be used in that way today!

There was signs of recent pagan and christian activity, mostly rowan berries in a jam jar by the well itself and what looked like a cross in another. Nothing out of the ordinary really and obviously there is a thought about that the Well was orginally dedicated to a Goddess (which I think is pretty likely).

Other than that – actually it wasn’t a very ‘nice’ place. I have been to some lovely wells but this isn’t one of them. There was a sense of ‘waiting’ at the site and it was very lonely. Certianly from a pagan pespective I would not work at this one – definatly not welcoming.

Just some intsant reactions; St Margaret as you probably know is a ‘Dragon Slayer’ (akin to St’s George and Michael) Usually, wherever there is a dragonslaying church, this is a veiled reference to a ‘ley-line’ being pinned down in some way.

The well itself certainly sounds blocked (literally and probably metaphysically; the sensation of ‘waiting’ that you felt when you went there is probably acurate, the place is waiting to be ‘un-blocked’. But also, likely, by the berries and cross you saw there, maybe someone is doing there bit to try and remedy the situation… At places like this you can lend a little support just by visualising life-giving vibrant energy going into this site… you can do this ‘giving’ in such away that you yourself do not become ‘involved’ (and thereby you wont get ‘drained’) You are almost then, giving a call out, that other ‘sensitive’ people in the area come and do the same… if everyone who went there shined just a little bit of light then the place would eventually become bright and vibrant.

I dont think that I have ever been to Binsey but I have been questing nearby, with Richard Ward, many years ago… funnily enough, that was to do with well-cleansing, and Civil War type psychic research. We were at Godstow, Woodstock and Stanton Harcourt; investigating ‘Three Crowns symbolisms’.

I remember there being quite a lot of leyline, type alignment stuff in the area; Oxford and its surrounding area is probably a very important part of Britains matrix.

If St. Margaret’s is pinning down a leyline, and the well is blocked then it could be infecting the other sites that the leyline connects with… or maybe not… I dont want to put ideas into your head, you must listen to your own gut feelings and so on.

Thanks Yuri great pointers. :D lol: On the steps I also had the flash of the name ‘Mary’ although that doesn’t make much sense to me admittedly. The site seemed calmer when I left and then I went inside the church and said a quick prayer in front of the Mary statue there.

RE: the tokens around the site – you may be correct, they could be a way of others trying to use the ‘sink plunger’. But I think a much more likely explanation is that they were votive offerings to the Goddess. Am not overly keen on people leaving non-degradable items in/near sacred sites (i.e the jam jars that they were kept in – not the flowers) and tend to remove such things. In this instance I didn’t though.

Yeah, Ley Lines – good point, Have been studying the major leys around my area – actually the Michael line crosses quite a big patch of the surrounding countryside where I live. Have a feeling (which I will go away and check) that the Mary doesn’t go through Oxford (and I’m almost definite that the Michael line goes nowhere near). Of course there are many other leys in nature apart from these two. Hmm curisor and curisor!

Also, Yuri can you expand on your post about the importance of Oxford – it sounds fasincating! :D

A factoid from my brain has just resurfaced… there are two leys in Oxford. They intersect at Carfax in the city centre on a N -S, E-W aligment. Now I wonder if one of them passes through Binsey?

Hi Vicky

I think that you’ll find what you want on this link

http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/oxford.htm

Its a webpage by Bob Trubshaw, about the landscape significance of Oxford. He explains the legen of Oxford being an ‘Omphalos’ (that is, a sacred centre; like a ‘chakra’ of Britain.)

My own research is into the ‘three crowns of britian’ in the near future when I have more time I’ll set up a post about it but in simple terms, there are three sacred islands for the isles of britain which are Iona, Glastonbury and Lindesfarne. At some lost time in history their ‘energies’ were taken and hidden into three crowns. For the matrix of Britain to work properly those ‘energies’ need to be returned to there rightful islands…thats the legend anyway.

The three crowns as a symbol, pop up everywhere. They are the coat of arms of King Arthur, Glastonbury Abbey, Oxford, Colchester (which in Roman times was called ‘Camulludunum’ (Camelot?) sacred town of St Helen) They are also represented as three crowned heads, male or female sometimes 3 queens, sometimes 3 kings… it goes on and on.)

But at Oxford, there is a church with 3 queens depicted, Oxford’s coat of arms is the three crowns. At Godstow nunnery there is an old gate with three crowns upon it leading to a secret garden, and Oxfrod was once considered a sacred ‘omphalos’; plus the Thames runs by, (really the River Isis)… anyway, read Bob Trubshaws webpage, I’m sure you’ll find what you want there.

Also, the ‘Mary’ could be many women, (Margaret was also known as Mariam) Andy’s sugestion that there could of been an ‘oracle’ head at Binsey is interesting and would tie in with the three crowns etc. Also, I cant recall clearly, but near to Godstow there are some woods, ‘Wytham’? but I recall there being some interesting place names there, my memory is shakey but names like ‘our lady’ or ‘my lady’ and ‘her sisters’ are place names given to trees in the woods there, and I think that the woods aligned with other places? Its been a long time though but you should check out an Ordnance Survey map of the area around Binsey (and that would include Godstow)

Again Yuri fascinating information and a great link. In fact you have done me a great service there as in the article it mentions three foliate heads at Christchurch. I have been searching for Foliate/Green Man/Green Lady heads for a while now. I own the gazetteer ‘The Green Man’ by Ronald Millar. It is a bit vague on whats actually there. (Latin Chapel choir stalls, 14th C) and I must confess to actually never having been in the cathedral.

In fact the article says;

Quote:
    The site of this monastery is under the present chapel of Christ Church college, which also doubles as Oxford’s cathedral. In the church is the reconstruction shrine of St Frideswide with no less than three foliate heads form the 1250s. Their benign expressions allow speculation that these are ‘Green Women’ – possibly representations of the saint and her companions.

So it would appear that there are extra heads to the one that is mentioned.

That aside, I do own a Landranger for the Oxford area. Indeed you are correct, Wytham Great Woods stands to the west of the City. At the well, the woods are patently obvious – I remember looking over to them across the field. Also, there are places in the woods given whimsical names such as ‘My Lady’s Seat’ and ‘The Five Sisters’.

Map of Wytham Woods

I’m working on alignments with the woods, well, church and abbey (Godstow) – (incidentally did you know that there is another abbey in the area – at Wytham village?.) Will let you know if anything surfaces.

Last point, you mention the quest for the three crowns? I nearly fell of my chair when you mentioned Colchester and the link to St Helen. I have started preliminary researches for a book on the pagan Goddess Elen and her connections to St Helen. Its my belief that (as with Bridget/St Bridget in Ireland) that there is an overlapping of the Goddess and this Saint.

So in the space of a week we have managed to discuss all three of my ‘projects’. Weird!

Once again, thank you for your help. :D

Vix

I dont know how long you have been doing ‘questy’ things but often things over lap. You’ll often hear Andy say something like, 8 out of 10 quests are a red herring… At least, thats how it appears in the ‘moment’ but often you can find yourself looking back over a ten year period and things that you did then which never made any sense, suddenly, in hind sight, start to be relivant.

I’ll start a new thread, maybe tonight, about a ‘wierd one’ I had in the Godstow area… Richard Ward and I gave a lecture about it years ago when the Questing Conference used to be held at Red Lion Square… I should really be putting it onto my website so maybe this’ll get me motivated.

Meanwhile, keep us informed of what you find. It would be great to see a picture of these feminine triple foliate heads; this also ties in with an ‘Oracle head’. You know its another interpretation of a Green Man, (better infact than just a ‘fertility symbol’) When you think about it, what does foliage come from the mouth mean? It means, words that grow, ‘fertile words’, wisdom… an Oracle.

I’ll sort out my Godstow material and put something up

Yuri

Just as a matter of intrest I googled for pictures of the heads. Not found any so far but I did find this curious phrase on Christ Church’s own webpage.

Christ Church’s Webpage

Quote:
    Frideswide’s request (in the legend) to be buried in St. Mary’s Church may indicate that other churches with separate patron saints were also associated with the Oxford monastery.

(My italics)

How very strange! The first reference to a Mary I have found! May also explain why after hearing the name ‘Mary’ I chose to bless the well in Her name.

Back to the heads.. only this from the same web page

Quote:
    3 The SHRINE
    Built 1289
    Destroyed 1538
    Rebuilt 1889
    The oldest monument in the cathedral, the shrine is covered in fine carvings of plants and faces. It once held the relics of St. Frideswide, the patron saint of Oxford, but was destroyed at the Reformation. Frideswide was then buried beneath a nearby gravestone.

Would love to hear of the weird co-incidence!

Mmm, which Mary, the Virgin or the Magdalene?

That church guide description of the foliate heads is a typical and terribly boring/mundane example of church guide literature. Almost as good as one in Somerset which informed the reader that St. Michael was the well know patron of hill-tops! :-) )

I’m just going to start a new thread with my Oxford curio. Keep this thread for your Binsey/Oxford research

Well, when I was at the well I had the very definite feeling that it was the Virgin. I will research the Church more fully as it isn’t clear.

Thanks for the suggestion about the thread – or perhaps a lovely mod would move it to the questing topic? Actually when I initially asked this question I had no idea that it would turn into a mini-quest – that wasn’t my intention. However, since then I have involved two other people (who are actually far more psychic than I am) and what they have turned up is frankly astounding.

I’m still working on that material so am not ready to post just yet but as part now of the mini-quest we will be going into Oxford (in the next fortnight or so)with a view not to simply shop at Monsoon (which is where I usually find myself strangely drawn 8O ). Top of the list is Christ Church on St Aldgates, the Carfax alignment and the Sheila-na-gig in St Michael’s tower. If I can take photos of the heads I will certainly do that – but there may be a no camera rule at the Cathedral. I’ll do my best.

In the mean time, a google brought up this image from a shop which takes casts of stone heads

Fine Stone Heads

They say it is an accurate miniature. It is certainly one of the loveliest I have seen.

Just posting back to confirm that yes it was the Virgin. Have been to shrine and church again to take pictures – here ye go….

Christ Chruch – St Frideswide’s shrine, foliate heads….

Defaced Head

This head has been either defaced or has been ‘lost’ when the shrine was destroyed during the Reformation.

Head 1

Head 2

Head 3

and the shrine itself

Her Shrine

and finally the well at Binsey

Binsey Well

You can just about see the offerings by the steps that lead down to the well.

Nice one Vyxen,

they are great pictures.

Where lies the way ahead now? Are you still investigating Oxfordshire leylines? Following up on Fair Rosamund and Godstow? or something entirely different?

Just thought that I would post this image up; its a new drum design that I have created; largely inspired by the three female foliate heads that Vyxen has shown us in the post above, I have just called it ‘Green Woman’

greenwomandrum.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.