Victorian Lodges

Home Forums Questing Does Anyone Know…? Victorian Lodges

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_supernaturalist 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I want to follow up some psychic material, and here is what I have to work with:

Sometime during 1860s, England.
    Ceremonial place known as the ‘Lodge’, but not Masonic.
    Possible ceremony involving hands tied by a rope in front, being cut by a sword.
    Symbol of a yellow upright equilateral triangle, possibly used in ceremony.

A bit vague perhaps, but if anyone knows about such things as Victorian societies or where I can start to look then please give me your thoughts.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Was the triangle solid or in outline (see sketch below – apologies for the quality!)?

triangle.gif

Yellow trinagles….hmm. Didn’t the Illuminati like Pyramids and triangles? I’m in Ireland for Easter (just back from a trip to the Hill of Tara which was magical in the sunshine) but when I get back I’ll have a shift through some reference books on secret societies and see if anything matches.

Cheers,

Simon

‘Twas a solid yellow triangle.

Enjoy your Easter. Out of interest, what reference books on secret societies have you got? I’ve not got any (and if I did, it would be in a box buried deep in the cellar).

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael,

It’s “The International Encyclopaedia of Secret Socieities and Fraternal Orders” by Alan Axelrod. I got it as a present and it seems decent enough but now that I’m trying to use the index to locate entries which contain “yellow” or “triangle” it seems somewhat lacking!

However…as I thought about it something was niggling the back of my mind about the Golden Dawn. Possibly just because we had discussed this in one of our most recent interchanges but when I followed this lead I came, circuitously, to the card of Temperance in the Rider Waite Tarot Deck (picture below):

temperance.jpg

which as you’ll see has the yellow triangle on the front of the angel (curiously this is sometimes identified as the Archangel Michael!).

Some notes on this that might provide further clues are: “Square/Triangle on Chest – these derive directly from Levi’s description of the card in Transcendental Magic. The figure may also be a reference to the Tattwa for earth sub fire (Francis King – Magic, The Western Tradition, Fig 54 and p 26, and Israel Regardie – The Golden Dawn, pp 456-8 ). “

Of course it might just have been my pQ.com avatar that infiltrated your dream :wink: !

Cheers,

Simon

Am just starting to bring a few books up from the murky depths of our cellar, and Regardie’s Golden Dawn is one of them. I’ll check the page references you’ve given.

What I really want is to see if I can find a Victorian society in the 1860s that fits the bill. Golden Dawn is too late, not sure about the Soc. Ros.; anyone know anything about Soc. Ros. ceremonial? Of course, there could have been all manner of societies that aren’t documented at all (such as the Mary Heath Order of Meonia – and no, I don’t even want to begin to entertain the idea that I’m looking for that one). History is selective, as we know.

Meanwhile, I shall regard your avatar with the upmost suspicion. Wasn’t a dream by the way, it came out of a regression session. I’m not entirely convinced by it, but there seemed a chance of being able to – perhaps – follow up this one.

Michael

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.