New Instant Chat added to pQ.com

Home Forums General Technical Issues New Instant Chat added to pQ.com

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_Simon 17 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I’ve added an instant chat facility to the site so that logged on members (who have opened the Instant Messenger Contact List) can text each other and conversations can get started. In the future it may also allow guests to “chat” online with groups of interested members.

Operation of this is very easy. You’ll notice that I’ve added a new “User Info” control to the left-hand side of the site. If you look at the bottom section – “Online Now” – you’ll see who’s online and there will be an icon next to each user. Red indicates that the user is logged into PHPNuke, but does not have the PHP121 Contact List open. Green indicates that they are logged into PHPNuke and have the PHP121 Contact List open and ready to receive chat requests.

To allow yourself to be messaged simply open the Contact List by clicking on the “Show Instant Messenger” link which is just below the “Welcome, (username)” line. Be sure not to have any pop-up blockers installed on your computer. A green icon will then appear next to your name (you will need to refresh the PHPNuke page to see this).

To send a message to another user, you can:
    - Without logging into PHP121, click on the green icon next to the person.
    - While logged into PHP121, either click on the green icon next to the person, OR
    - Click on the person’s name in the PHP121 “Who’s Online” list.

Clicking on a red icon will redirect you to the Private Messages page so you can send a normal private message. To log out of PHP121, just close the PHP121 contact list. Your status will change to offline (red icon) after a few minutes.

As always, feedback is welcomes as to whether this is useful or annoying, easy or difficult to use…

I’ve never used Instant Messenger type things, but thought I’d log into this one. I’ve kept myself in all day, and have noticed that in PHPNuke my logged in status seems to drop out, i.e. the little man next to my userid goes from green to red. If I then do something in PHP121 such as look at my account settings, PHPNuke updates to show me online.

I’ll try and sit in it again tomorrow (Tuesday), if anyone want to test holding a conversation with me (does anybody want to be my friend…?).

Michael

Hi Michael,

I’ll be logged in about 20:00 for an hour or so if you’re there.

- Simon

Ah, I’m not normally online in the evening.

…and I’m usually only logged in at evenings.

If anyone does manage to overlap and have a session I’d be very interested in hearing how well (or not) it works.

Hi Simon,

I’ve had my head down writing and researching of late, but just popped in, and was interested to see the added IM feature. However, the IM window is blank in Firefox (my browser of choice).

I also noticed that I was still logged in from my last visit some time ago (I know, sloppy!). However, I wouldn’t want people thinking they could IM me when I’m not actually there! Could you maybe log members out automatically after a reasonable period of inactivity?

Given my extended period of inactivity, I would fully understand if you were unprepared to act on the above, just for me. I suppose I should use IE and log out properly like everyone else!

Back soon.

Ross

Don’t worry Ross, your loginid hasn’t been showing up in the list. I get this every so often, I guess it must be a cookie on your PC holding your login state.

I also use Firefox and get the blank screen at first, but refreshing the window with F5 then brings everything up. Sorry Simon, I guess I should have reported that last week.

Michael

Thanks Michael. All’s well then!

admin
    Keymaster

This is all very new to me and this article really opened my eyes.Thanks for sharing with us your wisdom.I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.

Louis Vuitton For Women
    Louis Vuitton Watches
    Mac Lipstick Swatches
    Abercrombie Long Sleeve

imported_kk
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.