Godstow’s Secret Garden

Home Forums Questing Does Anyone Know…? Godstow’s Secret Garden

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_YURI 18 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Following on from previous posts. In 1991 I was lead by many synchronicities to go to Godstow in Oxfordshire. Andrew Collins and co had recently been there on their own quest (something to do with Fair Rosamund and the Lady of Shallott) Whilst there they had seen an old iron gate with three crowns sculpted upon it; knowing that I was investigating the legend of the Three Crowns of Britain, Andy C contacted me and then, with Richard Ward, I later investigated the place.

Richard and I found the gate, leading to an over-grown jungle of what appeared to be wasteland between two rivers, near Godstow Nunnery.

godstowgate0dx.jpg

The gate had a sign on it saying PRIVATE but curiosity got the better of us and so we climbed over the gate to investigate! The island between the rivers was thick with nettles and brambles. It was difficult to wade through. But many strange odd bits of masonary and stone work were scattered around, hidden in the undergrowth… a stone wall here, a wishing well there, a bench here, here a plinth, some kind of dais, some broken angel wings and a knights helmet! And a huge life-size statue of a lion (with a flat head! (rust marks were left which once would of held a crown in place!)

godstowlion0ln.jpg

The Lion was odd and very atmospheric and somebody had been around and done some peculiar alchemy. One testicle had been painted blue and the other had been painted red! No other part of the lion had been painted.

Finding it all odd Richard and I left what we nicknamed ‘the secret garden’ and continued with the days questing. We were looking for a ‘bath’ near Woodstock (a place nearby) (A psychic had told me that it was important to find the ‘bath’.. So we drove around looking for a Roman Bath; didnt find one, went to a pub and decided to go back to the secret garden to see what else we could find.

Back amongst the jungle of nettles (some were over 6ft tall!) we waded deeper and deeper and found ourselves in some kind of overgrown basin of ground. Then one of us noticed that we were standing on brickwork and saw a stone orb

godstowbefore0xh.jpg

Our hearts pounded! and we set to frantically pulling away weeds, and cutting down nettles. For two sweaty hours we cleared away the debris and found our ‘Bath’!!!

godstowafter6gp.jpg

Some kind of baptismal kind of bathing pool. How old? we didnt know. When was it used? Dont know. On an island between the rivers, between Godstow Nunnery and The Trout Inn lies this secret garden.

Richard and I did visualisations and meditation to clear the site of negative energy and pump it up with positive healing energy… and then we went home, bewidered.

the following year we went back and it had all been cleared up and made tidy, Turned into a ‘feature’ by the Trout Inn owners (we guessed) It was so ‘open’ now that it wasnt possible to tresspass without being seen. So we moved on to Stanton Harcourt and became bewildered by Robert Huntington instead (see other post elsewhere on this forum!)

imported_rw

Nice to see the pictures of Godstow again Yuri, they evoke some good memories. I hope this might prompt others to post some of their questing material on the site, as it would be great to hear what other people have been up to.

absolutly amazing pics Yuri and indeed a cunning mystery! How wondeful to find something like that… a secret garden!

Makes you wonder about its orgins and the bizarrness of the testicular painting. You know, I keep thinking of the Matrix where he offers the red or the blue pill. 8O

Quote:
    I keep thinking of the Matrix where he offers the red or the blue pill.

Hmmmm… I’d rather swallow a pill than a Lion’s testical :wink:

Hi Vixen… Have you taken your crew to Godstow yet?

Equinox is nearly upon us… Best time of year for seeing through the veil, days of equal light and dark; either dusk or dawn, for the next couple of days, are going to be really good for seeing spirits.

As for the secret garden, it would be interesting to see what you and your friends ‘feel’ about the place if you go there (or near there)

Yuri.

Yup I did that not last week but the week before. Some very intresting things came out of it. (my two friends went to the site ‘blind’ as it were).Not sure yet of the implications of the material produced but absolutly incredible! Will post when I have digested the matter more fully – probably using the nearby lions testicle. 8O

Next on the agenda is Oxford iteself. Have just come back off hols so am a bit sixes and sevens at the mo. Going tonight to the Goddess Temple for Madron (thats where I trained as a Priestess of Avalon). But have literally just managed to get hold of a copy of ‘Strange Oxford’ so am about to start reading. :P

Edited to add: Yeah will indeed take them to the garden – probably after Oxford. Will let you know the outcome as soon as it happens.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.