Early Christian Cygnus connections

Home Forums Questing Does Anyone Know…? Early Christian Cygnus connections

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_supernaturalist 17 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello folks,

I’ve just posted up an article on my fledgling web-site (so fledgling that it’s the only article there at the moment). It’s called “The Cygnus Mystery and Early Christian Literature”, and is about possible Milky Way/Cygnus star-lore amongst early Christian (mainly Gnostic) groups, a subject discussed briefly in Andrew Collins new book.

[url:2vzylaiy]http://thesupernaturalist.org.uk/articles/cyglit/cyglit.htm[/url]

I’d be happy for feedback, ideas, rebuttals, further information, nitpicking about spelling and/or grammar, anything really.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I’ve only scanned the paper so far, pending a nice quiet time to return to it and mull it over. However, after reading quickly through it last night, I had a dream that got me thinking… It involved a girl from my old Psychology class called Brid (pronounced “Breed”) who’s boyfriend – in the dream – was a very small man. Anyway it took me longer than it should to make the Brid/Brigit/Swan connection but when I did the lightbulb went ping.

I haven’t yet worked out exactly where this is leading but I get the feeling that Brigid is the link or bridge between your Gnostics and later Christians.

Some random pieces of the puzzle – not yet in place: Jung believed that the swan symbolised the play of light on the water (possibly influenced by the Gnostics); Yeats’ poem the Song of Wandering Aengus; Brigit as the connection between swans and Holy wells; your meditation vision of Brigit stepping out of a swan chariot.; the swan as the whitening process in Alchemy…

More as it crystalises.

But great work with the paper – you make me envious!!

- Simon

Thanks for your kind comments Simon. Having had the privilige of reading several of your own articles I don’t think you have anything to be envious about though.

Dream seems a little Twin-Peaks like, Brid with a short man…this wasn’t set in a room with red curtains around the walls and a black-and-white zig-zag pattern on the floor was it? Second time I’ve been reminded on Twin Peaks in the last few weeks…perhaps Bob is gunning for me.

I shall persue your Brigid connection in the other thread you’ve started.

Do you have any references to Jung’s idea of swan’s representing light-on-water? I only know a few basics of Jungian psychology, and I’d be interested to know what significance Jung thought this had. This light-water imagery is what first made me think Barbelo is a Milky-Way cosmic mother (as opposed to just any ol’ mother). I didn’t mention it in my article, but the light-water theme occurs quite a lot in another Nag Hammadi text called the “Trimorphic Protenoia” (believed to have been influenced by the Apocryphon of John); I didn’t mention it because I wasn’t sure where to slip it in, and I didn’t want to spend too much time trying to put everything into the article that I could think of. I’ll revise it at some point, or maybe write a follow-up.

Michael

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.