Alchemy Discussion Forum Closes

Home Forums General General Chat Alchemy Discussion Forum Closes

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_Simon 16 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I note with great sadness that Adam McLean has closed down his Alchemy Discussion Forum.

For a short time this site pushed a bewildering and exciting variety of topics into my RSS Reader. I noticed that these had stopped but hadn’t had a chance to investigate. This evening I checked Mr McLean’s Blogand found his explanation which I reproduce below. I have to agree that when I logged on to it, there did appear to be several folk claiming to have discovered how to transmute base metals into gold and sneering at those who hadn’t!

I’m glad to say that I find the people involved in psychic questing to be a much more easy-going crowd for the most part. The forums may be a little sleepy at times but at least we don’t have constant flame wars!

Finally I’d just like to reassure you that I do have permission to use the emblem which denotes “miscellaneous” news topics. :)

Adam McLean writes:

26th October 2007
    I have now with great relief closed my Alchemy Discussion Forum. I suppose it was worth trying to establish a place where people could sensibly discuss alchemy. There was no single incident or person that led me to decide to close the forum, rather a steady drip, drip, drip of criticism, and blatant misunderstanding of my motives. As the days wore on it became more and more of a chore, and I eventually came to dread logging on to the site each morning to see what nonsense had been posted there, and what tiresome games and interpersonal disputes were being played out. People are really rude and unpleasant to one another, and it is surprising that they think they can act in this way and yet expect the person running the Forum and thus dealing with all the flak and personal emails, to feel that his task is worthwhile. Such people drained the fun I had from setting up the Forum. The owner of such a Forum must get fun from doing it, and the contributors bear a responsibility towards conducting themselves in a way which does not give more and more grief to the organiser. With their cantankerous, narrow minded, often ill-informed, relenteless criticism, they deplete the energies and enthusiasm of the organiser, so that eventually one has to decide whether it is worth continuing. I have a relatively sanguine and forgiving character, but even I get worn down. I have, after all, so many things I want to do with my life. I was hoping to spend the last few days looking at the Aurora consurgens, but that went out the window with all the demands of running the Forum. Now, having made this decision, I can relax and turn my attention to more positive things. Sadly, those individuals, who valued the Forum and respected what I was trying to do, have lost out.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.